Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I am a poor, college art student, currently residing under the roof of my parents, burdened with babysitting my 8 year old sister by day, and escaping my controlling father by night. Like most my age, I spend a good deal of my time drinking heavily, listening to music, meeting strangers, really getting to know them in one night, and then spending the next day analyzing every detail with my friends.


But the older I become, and the more I delude myself with great love stories, the more I desire a certain someone. I do not require much, only that he is smart, can make me laugh, and would, without a doubt, sacrifice himself to give me his flotation device if ever we are drowning in freezing water. Oh, and, I'd prefer him to be stunningly handsome as well.


I have been relatively content with staying single, biding my time until I met the one, and creating elaborate fantasies with my friends. But, somehow, now, I find myself to be alone in this search. All of my friends are in a relationship, and all of them consider me to be "the one you can depend on," so I hear every little detail of their romantic lives, and to be quite honest....it is nothing like the movies. I now have a friend that is pregnant and hopelessly in love with her ex, one that is controlled by an obsessive boyfriend who would most likely cry if she were to even mention Robert Pattinson, and one trying to sleep her way to the top in LA, convincing herself that she is actually happy.


And this is where I begin to question relationships, love, and soul-mates. Is there actually "the one," the perfect counterpart to our souls, destined by the stars alignment? Or is it really just a fantasy instilled in our hearts by the media, propogating the value and necessity of marriage in a modern society?


I am prepared to expose my own dating life and that of my peers, in the hope that through its exploration, some answers may be deduced. Join me?

1 comment: