Thursday, August 13, 2009

the ex

A couple of years ago I became romantically involved with this guy, Ryan. He had just moved here from Austin, he was completely unaware of how attractive he was, and he was in a band. I immediately saw visions of myself waking up from a slumber to him serenading me with his guitar outside my window under the moon and a sky full of stars. It was perfect. Well, my vision was perfect. Turns out he kind-of-sort-of had a girlfriend of fives years back in Austin....

But I convinced myself this wasn't my problem! It wasn't me that made a commitment of fidelity. It wasn't me facing an ethical dilemma. So, being young, and with a yearning heart, I continued to see him.

I am going to skip over the "ooOos" and "Awws" of young love. And I will spare you the details of when he finally dumped his girlfriend, sulked for about a month, and then stopped seeing me, as well, to pursue a myriad of other girls. I am jumping right to the part, 2 years later, where I ask him to be my friend on facebook only to find that he is back to living in Austin, and dating his ex.

My initial reaction to this discovery was not the expected resentment or jealousy, but pity. More and more I find people gravitating back to their exes, like moths to the flame, like rats to the cheese, compulsive eaters to the dairy queen. In every situation it is just sad. You'd think that being human and with a cognitive thought process one would make a different choice, and not repeatedly make the same mistake. But somehow, when one returns to their ex, it is justified by fate, its because they are in love.

I have heard it all before, we are in love, we always have been, we were just confused for a little while, but our hearts found a way back to eachother. Does anyone honestly believe this? Are we all too frightened of the truth, and seeing the situation for what it is? I am not assuming that every situation is the same. People could get back together for comfort, or for reassurance, or maybe just for great sex. But I think we can all agree that if a couple breaks up, something was not working out, and although there may be chemistry, the compatibility as far as a healthy relationship goes, is lacking.

Instead of returning to what you know, or who you know, rather, I urge everyone to embrace the unknown. There is so much to learn from so many different people. There is no need to look back with regret, just move on. If the "one" is out there, it is not the ex.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. You couldn't have described it any better. Sadly, this is becoming an almost norm. More and more girls are apt to this problem every time their head over heals, puppy-love relationship comes to a screeching halt.

    Not saying I have never done this, but I am sad to see there are more people that get trapped in this exact situation over and over again. It is like a hole you can never seem to crawl out of.

    I have been a victim of relentless promises followed by a countless upsets and let downs, you couldn't even imagine. Or maybe you could. I was so blinded by this so called "love" I had for a guy I couldn't see the bigger picture. I couldn't even fathom an alternate plan during my heart-broken state.

    Even after a couple more lets downs from other guys I cared deeply about, I have come to the conclusion that I am going to be more logical about each future relationship. Which means, the first time there is ever even a slight warning "this guy is so not right for you," I will run away. As fast as I can. Mind you I am not the best of runners, I feel that somehow in that second after my slap of realization I will be at my fastest potential speed and not dare to glance back.

    It saddens me that people think they are going through something "different" or "ordinary" when they get their hearts broken, when in reality it happens everyday, every minute, every second to millions of people, I am sure. My advice to them is to suck it up and have faith that one day you will meet the "bread to your butter."

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw laura! Very valid points both of you! this is lexi by the way. i love you both so so much!!!

    ReplyDelete