Monday, August 17, 2009

the school girl crush

I am a big fan of the school girl crush. I thought it was forgotten, a thing of the past, still dwelling in my 6th grade locker. But some how it found a way back to me...and I feel like a giddy little girl.

I began to feel its effects last weekend after going out with my friend, Audrey, one of the only girls that will stay up and party with me all night, get maybe three hours of sleep, and then wake up with me the next morning, laughing and offering disposable toothbrushes from her purse--they are amazing, by the way. And so is she! Audrey is smart, funny, and independent. She, like me, is hesitant to rush into anything, not wanting to put her heart into the hands of just anybody, for fear that they will crush it, or drop it, or change it, or infect it with cooties, ew.

That is why it surpised me to find that after hanging out with the guy she is interested in last weekend, she began to show symptoms of the school girl crush.
  1. The inability to control thoughts as they linger on the crush.
  2. Excessive giggling, singing, or skipping.
  3. Doodling names with little hearts on notebooks, or in more severe cases, on skin.
  4. Playing trivial games to prove romantic compatibility.
  5. An overpopulation of butterflies residing in the stomach.

And because during this highly contagious period I was exposed to her crush's friend, who happens to be cute, sweet, and a great kisser, the symptoms spread. Now, Audrey and I cannot help ourselves, feeding off the excitement of the other, compelled to play games like MASH. It is probably sickening to witness, but, to be completely honest, I absoluteley love it.

I was begining to think that the excitement that comes from meeting new people was limited to anticipations of a phone call, and mature discourse on the admirable qualities of your potential mate. I am so fortunate to find myself wrong. It is refreshing to know that this feeling can still exist at the age of 21, that the spirit does not harden so much with time as to prevent such excitment from being felt. And if ever you begin to feel these symptoms, as ridiculous as they make you appear, do not try to suppress them. The reminder of the propensities of a youthful heart, is one of life's greatest gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment